Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nanny State

Jan Perry, a Los Angeles city-council member wants to ban fast food. This is just another example of trying to create a nanny government. I don't like fast food, don't eat it, don't think it is particularly good for you and would recommend against eating it, but that doesn't give any one the right to take away my freedom to eat what I want. If I want to stuff my face with burgers and fries day in and day out that's my business and nobody else's and certainly not the government's. And it's certainly not Jan Perry's business. Except that she thinks it is. I'm not saying eating fast food is not a problem. The problem is that Jan is a politician and politicians have only one tool in their tool box. That tool is legislation. So to politicians, every problem looks like it must be dealt with by legislation. The problem is not the fast food, the problem is people's inability to exercise moderation. Look, if you think fast food is a problem then don't eat it But that doesn't give you the right to tell other people what they can and cannot eat.

And there is the hipocracy. And this is the big problem. Liberals complain about things like the Patriot Act infringing on our rights, and rightly so. But then they have no qualms about turning around and taking away other freedoms that they have a problem with. They seem to think that government does not have the right to infringe our freedoms through surveilance but that goevernment does have the right to infringe our freedoms by taking away our right to choose how we want to live. The government doesn't have the right to take away any of our freedoms and liberals need to undersatnd that as well as conservatives. Personally, I would rather have my privacy invaded than have my freedom to choose taken away. Liberals tell us that we have the right to choose an abortion because we have a right to control our own bodies but then they want to tell us we don't have a right to choose what we put into our bodies. Hipocracy.

Just because something might be a bad choice doesn't give the government the right to make that choice for us and deny us the right to choose. Even if that means choosing unwisely.

And it's not just fast food, Jackie Speier wants to make us slow down. She thinks it's a good idea for us to slow down to save gas. I have no argument with that because it is a good idea and it does save gas. But she wants to take away our freedom to choose how fast we want to drive just because she wants us to be forced to choose to save gas. If she wants to slow down to save gas then she should. Anyone else who wants to can slow down also. I think it's a good idea and I drive slower than I used to. But it's not anyone's right to make that choice for everyone else.

No comments: